Tuesday, January 29, 2013

i must have a lot to learn...

Elder Richard G Scott of taught adversity can help stimulate necessary growth in our lives:

"May I share some suggestions with you who face...the testing that a wise Heavenly Father determines is needed even when you are living a worthy, righteous life and are obedient to His commandments.

"Just when all seems to be going right, challenge often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously.  When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more.  He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit.  To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain."

Elder Robert D Hales counseled us: "I have come to understand how useless it is to dwell on the whys, what ifts, and if onlys for which there likely will be given no answers in mortality.  To receive the Lord's comfort, we must exercise faith.  The questions Why me? Why our family? Why  now? are usually unanswerable questions.  These questions detract from our spirituality and can destroy our faith.  We need to spend our time and energy building our faith by turning to the Lord and asking for strength to overcome the pains and trials of this world and to endure to the end for greater understanding."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,

For some reason you have been on my mind all morning. I finally went online to see if I could find your blog! I was so happy to see you are still blogging. (I need to do better!!) I love what you shared from Elder Scott. Everyone can use this counsel. Hope all is well.

Julie Christensen