Tuesday, June 16, 2009

No side effects....liars!

Bob here...I'm sure you immediately realized that if I am typing it is again at my wife's request. I feel like the infamous Mike Smrek of the 1980's LA Lakers who played center behind Kareem...I rarely see the court and now work as a part time as construction technology teacher in Canada...thanks wikipedia. That being said Mike did earn an NBA championship ring during his 2 year tenure with the purple and gold. What I"m alluding to is I'd like more playing time but don't imagine I'll get the nod to play anymore than Mike did.

I had the opportunity to be with my wife all day during her first "full" day of treatment. I say "full" because yesterday she started radiation and today was both radiation and chemo. We walked into the "chemo treatment center" and my eyes quickly scanned the room to see that everyone receiving treatment was minimum 20 years older than Jenny, bald or otherwise looking slightly disheveled as a result I'm sure of battling this despicable disease. A bit unnerving for me at least as I again for a fleeting second let the thought enter my mind "Jenny is too young for this and it's not fair we are here at this point in our lives". I do my best to not let that thought enter my mind because I know that all things happen for a reason and this is part of our plan. Jenny handled it all in stride. She sat down in this reclined seat and within 10 minutes she had an IV pumping saline for hydration, anti nausea steroids and cisplatin (the chemo). She even got a leg and foot massage which I don't think was all that soothing. This women was doing a power stance with her legs sort of in a scissor position the entire time....you know like a rocker with a guitar in a power stance...sort of like that. I'm sure you get the visual...But hey it was free.

To back up, yesterday Jenny had her first day of radiation...we were told that she should feel NO side effects for a couple of weeks. Well it wasn't a couple of weeks, it was a couple of hours. Jenny didn't even make it home. She went to her Grandma's so she could get over the sickness. She got home last night around 8:30pm. Thankfully one of our very good friends went and picked up the nausea medicine for me...it worked and Jenny was able to rest easy last night.

Now, back to today. Jenny started off fine, no sickness. We thought maybe with the medicine she would be able to cruise through today with little issue. Chemo took roughly 3 hours...pretty boring. We had two laptops, one wireless card...you do the math. I made friends with the Hispanic couple next to me and spoke Spanish with them for a little over an hour straight. I felt I should make conversation when I almost knocked over her IV due to my inability to sit still for any given period of time...now you see where Bobby gets it. Jenny on the other hand had Internet access and made the most of it. But in reality that was it for chemo. No sickness, nothing. On to radiation. Bobby was with us at this point so we went and looked at the big machine which he wanted to inspect closely (meaning touch and turn the knobs) and after 10 minutes Jenny came back and we were done...still no sickness.

Here we are a couple hours later and even with medicine, Jenny is sick. Hence the reason for playing back up center tonight. She is lying in bed doing marginally OK but nonetheless not comfortable. We just tried "Coke Syrup". I grew up on this stuff and SWEAR by it. Thanks Mom. If your kids or you are feeling queasy, go to your pharmacist and ask for it. You may find may pharmacists don't even carry it anymore. It is literally the syrup of coca cola. You do not need a prescription. Jenny has used it before and it has worked so we are giving it a try. Lets hope so.

Tomorrow Jenny has radiation again. I'm hoping she feels OK enough to drive on her own. If she can drive it is a good sign. If not, some of you may get a call to help babysit last minute.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I will pray that Jenny starts feeling better and stops getting sick from the treatments... Please Please Please call me if you ever need a babysitter! I would love to help you in any way I can.

shari berry bo-berry said...

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that Jenny is already feeling the effects from the chemo/radiation treatments. She and your whole family continue to be in our prayers!

Kim Harvey said...

Dude, this whole post pisses me off. this is so not fair. What a champ, your wife is. HF definitely knew she is one who could handle this. I don't know if I could say the same about myself. And you are a great hubby for taking such great care of her. Love you guys!

Dianne Schultz said...

Bob, you did an outstanding job of filling in for Jenny. Even backup players come in real handy. Do you and Bobby take after Uncle Jeff?: I can't take him anyplace without him looking into every drawer, playing with every machine.
Remember we love you all. Call me if you need me for anything.

alyson sullivan said...

this post makes me want to see your face even more..because i know how happy you get when you see it. i wish i wasnt sick with this nasty cold so we could sit on you bed eating ginger pops( they look tasty) and play bejeweled. i want you to know that i love you and im super available to watch your young ones so someone can drive you to radi...(because i know you dont like my driving skills) i love you and know that you are amazing and its all worth it!!