i have started a blog and saved it to drafts about 3 times. they have started with gratitude for the numerous people who have been in and out of the house taking care of me and my family. it started with the day by day, minute by minute account of what i've been doing. and may have had a word or two of how i've been doing. they're long, they're boring, and even i have a hard time rereading what i've just written. i'm boggling my "how am i doing?" with everything else going on just to ignore how i am doing.
so, how am i doing? if i'm being honest, i'm having a hard time. i've stayed in bed more than i've gotten up. i've listened to more of bob's conference calls than i have ever cared to. i've (debbie) have washed the sheets more times than i can count so the room doesn't stink. and to top it all off, i haven't pooped in over a week (sorry, some things i have no inhibitions about). i had in my mind that this recovery was going to be like the c-section recovery with the twins. you know, where i came home after day 5 and gutted and scrubbed the entire refrigerator. where i ran up the stairs when bob screamed because bobby had gone potty on the toilet (or, as i thought, had drowned in the tub because of how bob screamed). or, how i had gone to church the next morning wearing regular clothes, back to my regular size, skin more pale, but with a smile nonetheless. but, this recovery has been nothing NOTHING like that.
i hurt. all the time. if i eat too much, i hurt. if i don't eat enough, i hurt. i'm nauseous ALL OF THE TIME. my right foot is still numb (which i will be going to a neurologist for) so i limp, everywhere. i still can't go down the stairs normally - i have to hold the rail on one side and the grasp the wall on the other. i can't sit on the couch for more than an hour without my back or stomach hurting. i still can't completely shower because my cathetar hole (yes, hole) in my stomach is still open and i'm scared to get it wet. so i sit in a chair with a towel covering my stomach trying to keep the area dry. i have a toilet attachment that raises my toilet a good 4 inches so i don't bend down. and, i have my trusty wheels. a metallic red walker with a seat attached that grandma and grandpa johnson used during their ailing days. yep, those wheels are mine now. i'm 29 years old.
there is a lot of time that i am depressed. because i can't change a diaper, i can't make lunch, i can't catch my kids sliding down the slide, and i just have a hard time finding a reason to smile. i am a glass is half empty kind of person. woe is me. and i have every reason to feel like that right now.
but please ignore the impression that i am huddled in the corner, in a ball, crying all of the time. when i have a good day, i have a really good day. and it's usually after the sullivan girls have been here for a few hours, making me laugh at their one liners. or like now, where bob is on a call and i am here on the computer, and matty opens the door and keeps saying, "hiiii" in his fluctuating high pitched voice until someone responds (in which bob has to explain to the person on the phone why a little person is screaming in the background). or when i actually make it downstairs to find debbie going back and forth between the laker and angels game to find out she actually really likes sports even when dan's not around. or especially when i'm having a terrible, horrible self-pity day, and my husband, instead of being the soft, gentle, and supportive husband that he has been about 95% of the time, turns into the whip-cracking, pill-enforcing, no holds barred drill sergeant screaming at me, "you can do it!" "quit your whining." and "hurry up, you're taking all day."
i know during this week, i have so much to be grateful for. for debbie staying this entire week and wearing herself ragged and tired from taking care of the kiddos all day. for the sullivan girls coming and hanging out in and around my bed, making me laugh. for the flowers and gifts and facebook messages that make me smile.
i know if i got out of bed first, it would make it easier. i know this. if i beat my thoughts of "woe is me" in waking up in the morning, i know i would feel better. but i don't even open my eyes. i'm awakened by the pain. and i moan. and i think, here goes another day...
7 comments:
ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAM!!
even through all this your sense of humor has stayed in tact and that is a good sign! i know it sucks (well i don't REALLY know how bad, but it does no doubt) and yeah, you have every right to feel like that. keep blogging. we all want to hear about you and i know that writing is theraputic...it at least helps to get those feelings/thoughts out of your head!!!
we love you and have been praying for you!!!!
I love you, Jen! I wish I was there to cook you anything and everything you wanted. I wish I was there to play with my nephews. I wish I was there to just give you a hug. You are so strong and I am inspired by your braveness. Thanks for your posts, I would go insane with worry without them.
I love you!!
How did I moss this post earlier? Especially since I check this blog numerous times a day.
I think it sucks that I can do nothing. I hate being so far away from Southern Ca(for like the first time) I hate that I envy all the other friends that get to be there and hug you and make you laugh. And then I realize that its not about me. Its about you. And I am so glad that you have so many people who love you that can and do cook for you, clean, visit and make you laugh. Know that I am there with them, in spirit, doing the same thing.
In my head we are singing along to Reba and eating junk food right now. I am giving you a big squeeze and telling you to keep hope alive. Keep getting out of bed. Keep taking your medicine and just know that each new day brings with it less time before you get to catch your kids as they come down the slide. Because nobody can do it quite like you!
All my love
Oh Jenny, you poor, sweet thing. I am so sorry you are going thru this. Thank you for keeping us all updated. Everyone who knows you, loves you and cares about you. You are one amazing girl. And you are still inspiring, even going thru such a horrific time.
Love you.
By the way, glad to hear my facebook comment to Bob made you guys laugh. Needless to say, I was mortified when I heard what was really going on and I had made that comment! Glad when Dave told me you guys didn't think I was a total Jerk!
I love your attitude Jen!
Post a Comment