Evening all - I'm sure the first thing you are all wondering is who won the battle - me or the pink vinyl sofa - well I think last night was a tie. But we are about to go again tonight and I think I'm going to win. I am exhausted. If anyone ever has to go to a hospital, I recommend Mission but I think no matter what, after a few days of being here you just sort of get worn out. So much is constantly happening that before you know it you are just wiped out.
On the agenda today for Jenny was to attempt as many times as possible to get out of bed and into a chair. As many times as possible amounted to 4 tries. The pain was too much for her on the first 3 attempts, however on attempt 4, she made it. She never complained or made a fuss, she simply said she could not and lay back down. But she kept trying. In order to leave this hospital, she has to be up and around and show she can be mobile, amongst a few other things as well. She wants to go home. So, she has decided to cut back as much as she can on her pain meds which was nice because she was awake a lot more today. We didn't talk much though as I could tell she needed time with her thoughts. In fact I made myself disappear for a few hours today - I stunk and needed a shower and I wanted to check on Bobby. But with her strength returning, she asked for my laptop so she could check her facebook and email and to do a little blog stalking which is a passion of hers. I was glad she returned at least for a little bit to her normal activities.
We have this amazing nurse on duty tonight - Carol. After Jenny made it to the chair on attempt 4 I started to rub her shoulders a bit. Carol came back into the room with nice smelly girly lotion and bumped me aside and gave Jenny a back rub for 10 minutes straight - made Jenny smile and giggle a bit which was nice to see. Apparently Carol has had some similar problems (not cancer) but female related and can empathize with the pain Jenny is in and feels it is a part of her job to ensure she does more than just take her vitals. She is very caring despite being overloaded with way too many patients to care for.
I decided I could not handle another meal in the cafeteria so I ran across the street to the mall - I ate Chinese food tonight (which won't help my growing belly) and the fortune cookie was odd. It reads "the light of riches is shining over you". What does that mean? Really, what does that mean? I was talking to Dave about it and we decided he should write a book just using fortune cookie sayings - nothing else. I think if anyone could pull that off and have it make sense, it's Dave.
So tonight I will try again to get some sleep, and tomorrow Jenny will try again to get out of the bed and hopefully walk a little bit and will try to eat. I love my wife. She is progressing at her pace and within her limits - mind you those limits would blow most people away. BTW, when I woke up this morning, the trash can was empty and back in the room.
3 comments:
good call with the trash can.
I am so proud of all your hard work Jenny, great job. Dont forget to take pictures of your awesome stapled tummy. The boys will think you are so awesome when you show them as they get older. They'll know you are a stud.
Great job, Jenny! You are awesome and will be home before you know it! We love you and are thinking of you!
BTW, yesterday Jack started quacking like a duck. I ask him, "What does the duck say?" and he responds by happily quacking! I can't wait until you get to hear it in person in June! He also sends big wet kisses to you!
Bob, thank you so much for updating us on Jenny's progress. You are such a caring, loving, and supportive hubby! That is great that she is getting stronger and awake more often.
Jenny, you are so strong to withstand this physical and emotional pain, you are a true inspiration to me!
I look forward to reading about your continued progress and successes. And Bob, if you want... I will totally bring you In N Out tonight!! Jenny too, if she is up for it! :)
Post a Comment