Friday, May 22, 2009

i wouldn't be me unless i peeeeeed....

ok, soo i have to document this before i forget it.

preface: if you know me, you know i laugh - a lot - and courtesy of my first birth, i have lost a lot of control of my bladder.

well, i was sent home with a super-pubic catheter (gnarly sound, right?!) well, it's a catheter that comes from my bladder, out my stomach and down a 3 foot tube into a bag that bob has to empty, measure, color code, and dump every 3 - 6 hours. i have now dubbed bob the pee connoisseur. anyways, they told me i would have to have this in for atleast 10 days, maybe longer. this thing was gross, inconvenient, the risk for infection was ridiculously high, and i hated it. so when my doctor called after only three days of being home, i begged for him to take it out. he told me to come down to the office and that he would check it, but to not get my hopes up.

so, wednesday we headed down. to test my bladder they unplugged the catheter and added a syringe to it. they then emptied my bladder completely and readded 300cc of saline, 60cc at a time. after the first 60, i told the nurse i had to go the bathroom. i did. i had to go so bad. she said the doctor wanted all 300cc in. so, after the next 60cc, i told her i had to go again. it was starting to hurt, but still tolerable. she said we had three more to go. so, in came the third round of 60cc. ok, i told her i couldn't hold it. i had to go. she says, let me just put half of one more in. i called her out.

"was that only half?"

"no."

"how much was it?"

"another full one, and i'm adding the 5th one now."

i lost it. i started laughing. i couldn't talk. but somehow i mustered up the words, "i'm peeing." and bob lifted up his hand, dripping wet. he started screaming, "everything's wet. she's peeing." the nurse says, "what?" looks down, and we all hear a SPLASH. the table is wet. my clothes are wet. the papergown i was wearing was soaked. and all i could do was laugh. the nurse said, "i should have listened." bob says, "this is my wife who has the smallest bladder in the world that has to pee every 20 minutes." the nurse says, "this is a first for me."

my doctor came in, looked me up and down, and said, "hmm...guess we should have listened." after a painful 30 seconds of him pulling it out of my stomach, i went home bag free and happy.

but, of course i peed in the doctor's office. and of course in that offices 25 year career, i was the first to have done that. of course.

11 comments:

Mark said...

Jenny, Thank you for the post. You made my day. I am laughing so hard right now my eyes are watering. It reminds me of long car trips with all my girls and someone has to pee. I say just a few more miles (because I hate to stop). When I finlly stop everyone RUNS to the bathroom. Us men are so mean! I wish we could do something for you and Bob. Let us know if we can.

Jillyboo said...

Now that is awesome! Not to mention something that most Mom's can probably relate to. I swear I am about 2 years away from needing to wear depends. So sad.
Love you

shari berry bo-berry said...

i think you need to write a book!

Jayne said...

This blog was recommended to me by a friend, and I've just spent the last hour reading all of your entries. My mom was diagnosed with Cervical, Ovarian and Uterine cancer when she was 34, so cancer has been my biggest fear since I was 15. I just wanted to say that I applaud you for the bravery and grace that you've been handling this crisis with. I don't know if I could do the same, but you are my new hero. I will continue to read faithfully, and I wish you all the best.

Erin 10:27 said...

hope you know this brightened my day! you're such a good sport. i always say if i ever had any "work" done i'd have bladder enhancement surgery, maybe double or triple it. lol. thanks for sharing.

The Nedrys said...

Oh my gosh! This made me laugh so hard! That'll teach them to actually listen to patients in the future!!!

Kelly said...

I think you should have told the doctor of your Pirates of Penzance experience at the NKOTB concert.... I think they would have listened!! Love you and love that Bob is a pee expert!! Classic! :)

Wendy Ferguson said...

If i told you all the places i have "left my mark" you would probably "tinkle" again. So i will just keep those to myself...for now! :) xoxoxo

Jenn said...

Jennifer, You are an awesome writer. You may not be able to read back what you wrote, but it is not boring to us. I love your attitude, good or not, and know that you are strong enough to beat this. Anything you need, let me know. I am around...and go to Orange County a lot...Jenn Alverson

regibells said...

awww.....laughing!....still!

Anonymous said...

dude, I seriously love you. You know what this story reminds me of. I dont even have to say it. Thank you for being you.

P.s..
This one time at girls camp.
I will never forget it...